Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Lesson #1: Sidewalk Etiquette

Point #1:  People on college campuses do not know how to share sidewalks.

I've developed a list of the most popular (or most witnessed) reasons as to why sidewalks are not shared:
  • Listening to music - I like music as much as the next person, but listening to music does not give you the right nor the excuse to take up the entire sidewalk and walk at an excruciatingly slow pace while helpless fast-walkers (such as myself) try fruitlessly to pass you.
  • Couples - Look, I understand that you're in love and that you were meant to be together for all of eternity (whether that's actually true or not); however, walking down the middle of the sidewalk, hand-in-hand, is really obnoxious. Like the music-listener, you walk at an unbelievably slow pace, and - not helping the situation at all - you occasionally pause to kiss or smile lovingly at each other or (Hey, I've seen it happen.) make out right before reaching the crosswalk. I know that when you look at the person you love, it may seem like you two are the only people on earth... but you're not. I'm walking behind you, and I'm trying to get to Modern American fiction. Move it.
  • Texting/Talk on phone - You are just as bad as the previous two categories. Firstly, have you ever seen the video of that woman who was texting while walking and ending up tripping and falling into a fountain in a mall? That's your future. And if you're talking to someone on the phone, please pick up the pace... and for the love of Pete, TURN OFF SPEAKER PHONE. Especially if you're talking about very personal things. I really don't want to hear both sides of the conversation.
  • Naturally slow walkers - To the people who fall under this category:  I pity you for not carrying the fast-walking gene. I won't yell at you. I promise........... But if you're holding one of those family-sized umbrellas and blocking the sidewalk, I'm still going to get annoyed.
  • Walking with a group that includes everyone and your grandma - Contrary to popular belief, it IS possible to walk in a large group and still allow opposing traffic to walk along the sidewalk. I know you want to stand next to Steve, Joe, Timmy, Brian AND Larry... but you can't. Sometimes in life, you can't get what you want.



 Point #2:  Walking on a sidewalk is very similar to driving a car.

Figure 1.1
What do I mean by this? Well, allow me to explain...
  • You must stay in your own "lane". (See Figure 1.1)
  • You should wait for other "cars" to pass before "merging" onto the "highway".
  • If you are traveling at a slow speed, you should allow other "cars" to pass.
  • Paying attention is kinda important.





I hope this post has been enlightening. If you can think of anything that should be added to the lesson of "Sidewalk Etiquette", please let me know.

1 comment:

  1. Janelle, this is awesome... and soooo true. I would suggest adding that the sidewalk trend that I see a great deal... men completely running women off the sidewalk. I'm all for equality and all that jazz. I mean I try to make room/ move aside for everyone but for the love of God, it seems that more and more often, I freakin run off the sidewalk by guys. Whether they're in a group of 2 or 20, they don't MOVE and I literally have to throw my body onto the grass at the last minute after already being as far over as possible or I will be walked right into or knocked over. Then they act all suprised as if they never ever saw you. As this has happened to be on numerous occasions, I've stopped saying "oh sorry" (a natural response even though I did nothing) and started just saying out loud "wow, that was rude." Not like they even hear me.
    I think we're two of a kind because I was just thinking about this whole sidewalk thing earlier. So yeah like I said, this is awesome.
    Emmy

    ReplyDelete